1. Lay on a flat bench, with your feet planted firmly on the floor and make sure your back is in line and in contact with the bench
2. Using an overhand grip, hold a dumbbell in each hand directly above your chest
3. Inhale as you slowly lower one dumbbell towards your chest while keeping the other elevated. The dumbbell should naturally move away from your centerline as you lower
4. Continue to lower until you feel a full extension in your chest, your elbow should come directly out and away from your side and slightly pass the line of your body
5. Briefly pause before exhaling as you drive the dumbbell back up and above your chest by contracting the muscles in your chest
6. Allow it to, once again, come towards the centerline and aim to flex a little as you reach the top of the extension
7. Repeat on the other side
The primary muscles used in the Alternating Dumbbell Bench Press are the Chest. The secondary muscles used are the Triceps.