1. Sit on a bench or sturdy chair and ensure that your back is in contact with the back of the bench/chair
2. Take a firm grip of the barbell and bring it up to rest at shoulder height with your palms facing forwards, and your elbows bent at a 90-degree angle
3. Exhale as you drive the weight upwards until the barbell is fully extended above your head, (be sure to keep a very slight bend in your elbows throughout the entire exercise)
4. Form check to make sure your elbows are more or less in line with your ears
5. Control the lowering portion of the exercise bringing the barbell back to the starting position
The primary muscles used in the Seated Barbell Overhead Press are the Shoulders. The secondary muscles used are the Chest.